Tuesday, November 30, 2010

FUR

Natalia K by Pierre da Corso
VERY. INTO. FUR. RIGHTNOW.

Rangifer Couture by Jesse-Leigh Elford | Ben Trovato
Greg Kadel / Numero September 2008

RIP, Fox brethren

Images via .iKandi.

I love fur.  I do. It's inexplicable and unexplainable considering I'm practically a vegan most of the goddamn time, and the very thought of skinning an animal and wearing it is both ridiculous and repulsive to me.  Yet...fur is so BEAUTIFUL! I could never condone "new" fur, but vintage is up for grabs as far as I'm concerned.  Difference, you say?

Besides the NO SHIT aspect of age, there is a difference between something BOOM DONE OVER WITH as opposed to newly produced goods.  In the same breath I use to tell you people to buy vintage clothing to save valuable resources and recycle, I say don't buy NEW fur, mostly because the entire practice ought to be illegal.  However, old fur is just as beautiful and glamorous and insanely luxurious as new fur, as long as it's been treated well.  No shame in vintage fur.  I'm sorry.

Faux fur is almost always as great as real fur, which is why it is odd we haven't put more into developing faux fur in the fashion industry in general.  It reminds me of fossil fuels.  One day we'll research an alternative...but, like, not now.

No comments:

Post a Comment