Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Brand to UNF To: Motel

My personal philosophy on What I'm Going to Wear in Real Life falls in either two catagories: it's going to be simple, or insanely complicated and ridiculous.  Middle ground is typically shit you can buy at Forever21 and seen worn by one-shade blondes* everywhere.

Sextastic dress dress via Pretty Pennies
A brand I like that bucks the curve is Motel. Their dresses are form fitting and, for those of us with tits and ass, almost obscene: they push your tits up, round out your ass, and suck in your waist.  No Spanx *shudder* required.  I'm a pretty slender broad, but I've seen girls with decent heft pull Motel shit off, which I think is fantastic.  Work what you've got, ladies.


Yours truly owns this.  I call it my "space dress". I know-I'm so original. Via Pretty Pennies.
Their aesthetic falls delightfully in between simple, sexy shapes and interesting prints.  Essentially, they are the apparel equivalent to wearing a plain black dress with tons of jewelry.  I think you get the point.  They're no new kid on the block, but still; many people are unaware of their brand and don't think to seek it out by name.  Let's change that.

Some great examples from their new arrivals page:



Look at this: cheetah.  Could there be a more abused print?  Cheetah is typically reserved for one of two types:  people with an actual sense of style and those who are the very antithesis of the former.  We all know that one chick with Bettie Page hair who's entire fucking house is in cheetah print.  Once, I dated a guy with a cheetah print bedspread. Needless to say, I later found out he was gay*.

Moving on.  See what Motel did here?  They used a print that is normally described with words like "tacky" and "cheap" and used a cut that really can't be anything less than classy.  Classy is a word that has been cheesified, but it still stands nonetheless.  This dress is classy.  Look at the length and the shoulder detailing.  Lovely.

I love shit that is proper enough for the office (if you're adventurous) but still sexy enough to wear at night.  This length + the mesh cutout allow you to do both.  Versatility is lacking these days-relish it when it appears!

Another excellent example of day to night versatility, with excellent use of stripes and fit.


One thing that is definitely getting 'played out' is mesh.  Everywhere I turn, there is fucking mesh.  Hey, man; I got on that wagon a long time ago-you bitches aren't doing anything fresh with your vintage prom dresses, k? However, I do like to see the old "prom dress/insert" thing done right:

BOOM: perfect length and a great "swoop" detail, paired with a high, strong neckline.  Great balance and a lovely way to show off the twins.

Motel manufactures more than just dresses, but the dresses are definitely their strong point in my opinion.  

*One-shade blondes are my default example of bitches with no style, simply because if you do the math, most of the time you see someone wearing something really stomach curdling or sad, they're a fake, one-shade blonde.  Now, for the record, I know and have seen just as many stylish blondes as any other hair color, but you're just going to have to deal with my terminology here, fuckers. If your hair is one tone, it's tacky, and the chances of your clothes following suit are 99%.

*I love gays. Even this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment